Welcome to the ‘Eclipse’ Community Re-Read! Join us by reading a chapter every Monday & Friday. I’ll post a thread for each chapter in the book, counting down the days until the official release of the film on June 30th. So, dig out your old or new copy of Eclipse, read the chapter and then come back here, and discuss anything you find of interest that you might have missed the first time around. Only 25 more days to go!
Chapter 20: Compromise
There were some things that had changed. For instance, I was ready. I was ready to join his family and his world. The fear and guilt and anguish I was feeling now had taught me that much. I’d had a chance to concentrate on this. The next time something came at us, I would be ready. An asset, not a liability. He would never have to make the choice between me and his family again. We would be partners, like Alice and Jasper. Next time, I would do my part.
In the beginning of this chapter Bella plays Mother Goose and ensures that all of her pals from Forks High are away at the concert that she had planned for herself, Edward, and Alice. Charlie had plans to go open sea fishing with Billy Black. Bella has done all she can to get her loved ones safe from the newborn army that is invading the town of Forks.
- Pg. 436 Time to put the kiddies to bed because it gets a bit steamy in here! Edward and Bella are spending which seems to be their first night completely alone. The pair arrives at the Cullen home; Edward has quite the surprise for Bella. His lips found mine as I heard him kick the truck’s door shut behind me. Without breaking the kiss, he swung me up so that I was cradled in his arms and carried me into the house. He continued to kiss me for several minutes, standing there in the entry; he seemed less guarded than usual, his mouth cold and urgent on mine. “Welcome home,” he said, his eyes liquid and warm. “That sounds nice,” I said, breathless. “I have something for you. Your hand-me-down, remember? You said that was allowable.” “Oh, that’s right. I guess I did say that.”
- Pg. 438 Edward pulls out some major bling for Bella. I examined it cautiously. On the opposite side of the chain from the wolf, there now hung a brilliant heart-shaped crystal. It was cut in a million facets, so that even in the subdued light shining from the lamp, it sparkled. I inhaled in a low gasp. “It was my mother’s. I inherited quite a few baubles like this. (Shout out to 5ct bauble!) I’ve given some to Esme and Alice both. (What? No Rosalie?) So, clearly, this is not a big deal in any way. But I thought it was a good representation. It’s hard and cold. And it throws rainbows in the sunlight.” “You forgot the most important similarity. It’s beautiful.” “My heart is just as silent, and it, too, is yours.”Aww these two are soo cute!
- Pg. 443 Bella has tried to sway Edward in every way possible to get her way. The two spoke of college, marriage, and Bella putting off immortality for a while, but Bella has one thing on her mind. My hands were slightly shaky as I unlocked my arms from around his neck. My fingers slid down his neck to the collar of his shirt. The trembling didn’t help as I tried to hurry to undo the buttons before he stopped me. His lips froze, and I could almost hear the click in his head as he put together my words and my actions. “Be reasonable, Bella.” “You promised-whatever I wanted.” “We’re not having this discussion.” He glared at me while he refastened the two buttons I’d managed to open. My teeth clamped together. “I say we are,” I growled.Growled? Like really? Umm, okay. I moved my hands to my blouse and yanked open the top button.Whoa! Alrighty hotness. Is Bella trying to flash Eddie some cleavage? He grabbed my wrists and pinned them to my sides. “I say we’re not,” he said flatly. We glowered at each other. This has to be in the movie! While I was ranting, he pulled my hands together to restrain them in just one of his, and put his other hand over my mouth. “No.” His face was hard. Sidebar-Remember back to the Twilightdays, when ole Ed used to be soo afraid to touch Bella, to kiss Bella etc. Now, young Cullen is grabbing wrists, putting hands over a human mouth…he’s evolved!
- Pg.448 Bella has stooped to attempting to seduce a vampire! But this Edward Cullen has some amazing self control. Edward has even resorted to breaking a piece of the iron bed off effortlessly in his hand to show Bella, just how breakable she is, in his out of control hands. “Please,” I finally whispered, hopeless. “It’s all I want. Please. You don’t have to make me any guarantees. If it doesn’t work out right, well, then that’s that. Just let us try…only try. And I’ll give you what you want. I’ll marry you. I’ll let you pay for Dartmouth, and I won’t complain about the bribe to get me in. You can even buy me a fast car if that makes you happy! Just…please.” His icy arms tightened around me, and his lips were at my ear; his cool breath made me shiver. “This is unbearable. So many things I’ve wanted to give you-and this is what you decide to demand. Do you have any idea how painful it is, trying to refuse you when you plead with me this way?” “Then don’t refuse,” I suggested breathlessly. His mouth was not gentile; there was a brand-new edge of conflict and desperation in the way his lips moved. He didn’t stop kissing me. I was the one who had to break away, gasping for air. Even then his lips did not leave my skin, they just moved to my throat. I got through with the buttons on his shirt this time easily, and my fingers traced the perfect planes of his icy chest. He was too beautiful. I pilled his mouth back to mine, and he seemed just as eager as I was. One of his hands still cupped my face; his other arm was tight around my waist, straining me closer to him. Sidebar-who here thinks this is too steamy for daytime reading? *raises hand*lol
- Pg. 450 We’re engaged to Edward freakin’ Cullen! After Edward puts a sudden halt on all things sexual, Bella makes a last ditch effort to get her way, but Edward is firmer than ever. “I wasn’t born yesterday.” He chuckled in my ear. “Out of the two of us, which do you think is more unwilling to give the other what they want? You just promised to marry me before you do any changing, but if I give in tonight, what guarantee do I have that you won’t go running off to Carlisle in the morning?” I exhaled with a loud huff. “I have to marry you first?” I asked in disbelief. “That’s the deal-take it or leave it. Compromise, remember?” His arms wrapped around me, and he began kissing me in a way that should be illegal. ”I think that’s a really bad idea,” I gasped when he let me breathe. “How did this happen? I thought I was holding my own tonight-for once- and now, all of a sudden-“ “You’re engaged,” he finished.
- Pg. 456 Bella and Edward continue their arguments about protecting their virtues and matrimony. It all boils down to Edward and he is old fashioned and a gentleman and I think this makes him super attractive. I don’t blame Bella for wanting to jump his cold bones. “I suppose you don’t want your ring now?” “You suppose correctly.” He laughed at my expression. “That’s fine. I’ll get it on your finger soon enough.” I glared at him. “You talk like you already have one.” “I do. Ready to force it upon you at the first sign of weakness.” “You’re unbelievable.” “Do you want to see it?” he asked. “No!” I almost shouted, a reflex reaction. I regretted it at once. “That’s all right,” he shrugged. “It can wait.” I sighed. “Show me the damn ring, Edward.” Blatant disrespect! He should give her a ring out of the Cracker Jack box! He shook his head. “No.” “Please?” I asked quietly, experimenting with my newly discovered weapon. I touched his face lightly with the tips of my fingers. Please can I see it?” Gosh this Bella is exactly like me when we want to get our way…darn Virgo’s! His eyes narrowed. “You are the most dangerous creature I’ve ever met,” he muttered. Edward is back in a flash with the ring. “Go ahead and look, then,” he said brusquely. The surface was smooth with black satin. I brushed my fingers over it, hesitatingly. “You didn’t spend a lot of money, did you? Lie to me, if you did.” Someone should really tell Bella, that it’s tacky to talk about money, all the time smh. “I didn’t spend anything. It’s another hand-me down. This is the ring my father gave to my mother.” Aww! “Oh.” Surprise colored my voice.
- Pg. 458 Edward presents Bella, with the ring that belonged to his birth mother. “I suppose it’s a little outdated. Old-fashioned, just like me. I can get you something more modern. Something from Tiffany’s?” Hale yea! I’ll take 2! Nestled into the black satin, Elizabeth Masen’s ring sparkled in the dim light. The face was a long oval, set with slanting rows of glittering round stones. The band was gold-delicate and narrow. The gold made a fragile web around the diamonds. I’d never seen anything like it. “It’s so pretty.” “Do you like it?” “It’s beautiful.” I shrugged, feigning a lack of interest. “What’s not to like?” He chuckled. “See if it fits.” My left hand clenched into a fist. “Bella,” he sighed. “I’m not going to solder it to your finger. Just try it on so I can see if it needs to be sized. Then you can take it right off.” “Fine,” I grumbled. He took my left hand in his, and slid the ring into place on my third finger. “A perfect fit. That’s nice-saves me a trip to the jeweler’s”
- Pg. 459-460 “You like that, don’t you?” “Sure,” he said, still casual. “It looks every nice on you.” This is such a special, sacred moment for Edward and he has Debbie Downer to share it with. Edward is positively enthralled with his bride-to-be, that he is beaming! He gazed back, and the casual pretense suddenly slipped away. He was glowing-his angel’s face brilliant with joy and victory. He was so glorious that it knocked me breathless. Before I could catch my breath, he was kissing me, his lips exultant. I was lightheaded when he moved his mouth to whisper in my ear-but his breathing was just as ragged as mine. “Yes, I like it. You have no idea.” I laughed, gasping a little. “I believe you.” “Do you mind if I do something?” he murmured, his arms tightening around me. “Anything you want,” But he let me go and slid away. “Anything but that,” I complained. He ignored me, taking my hand and pulling me off the bed, too. He stood in front of me, hands on my shoulders, face serious. “Now, I want to do this right. Please, please, keep in mind that you’ve already agreed to this, and don’t ruin it for me.” “Oh, no,” I gasped as he slid down onto one knee. “Isabella Swan?” He looked up at me through his impossibly long lashes, his golden eyes soft but, somehow still scorching. “I promise to love you forever-every single day of forever. Will you marry me?” There were many things I wanted to say, some of them not nice at all, and others more disgustingly gooey and romantic then he probably dreamed I was capable of. Rather than embarrass myself with either, I whispered, “Yes.” “Thank you,” he said simply. He took my left hand and kissed each of my fingertips before he kissed the ring that was now mine.
I’ve got the tears rolling down my face. This is just too sweet for words! When in the heck is June 30th gonna get here!
Category: Eclipse Re-Read